Did you Know…The facts of Burnham Market
Burnham Market is a beautiful village and we love every moment of living and working here. Surrounded by lush North Norfolk countryside brimming with wildlife and nature, it is easy to lose yourself in the laid-back lifestyle and changing seasons, all of which bring their own charm and something new to do and experience. Burnham Market is a beautiful village and we love every moment of living and working here. Surrounded by lush North Norfolk countryside brimming with wildlife and nature, it is easy to lose yourself in the laid-back lifestyle and changing seasons, all of which bring their own charm and something new to do and experience.
We all know that North Norfolk is brimming in history, so we wanted to put together some of our favourite facts about Burnham Market to put it firmly on your favourite village list, if it isn’t already!
1. Burnham Market used to be a thriving livestock market town
2. The Black Death reached Burnham Market and was responsible for the decline of the parish populations
3. The village green is surrounded by fine buildings that date back to 17th and 18th century
4. The original Burnham Market village sign was unveiled in 1978 by Viscount Coke of Holkham Hall and shows a 15th Century glimpse of a market scene
5. Burnham Market is known as ‘Chelsea on Sea’, due to its boutique style shopping and cosmopolitan vibe and it attracts famous faces year in year out.
6. Horatio Nelson and his family once called Burnham Market home and there are many buildings that are named after the famous family
7. Burnham Market is mentioned in the Domesday Book
8. Burnham Market is just 2 miles from the North Norfolk Coast, 20 miles from King’s Lynn and 40 miles from Norwich
9. The village has two Anglican churches; St Marys at the west end of the marketplace and All Saints Church to the east
10. Burnham Market sits close to the mouth of the River Burn and it is believed that is where the name Burnham derives.
Of course, the best thing about Burnham Market is our country Inn, The Nelson, where you can come stay in one of our newly refurbished rooms, have a bite to eat or stay for a celebration as well as enjoying one of our guest ales or fine wines or spirits.
Whether you are popping in or are looking to stay for a longer period of time, you will receive the same warm welcome from our team, who will be happy to give you advise and information on Burnham Market and the surrounding area.
Our menu is prepared fresh in house by our head chef and the kitchen team and they are proud to use only the freshest local ingredients in our menus. This means that we are constantly updating our menu options to fit the seasons.
To book a table or room or for more information about our menu please feel free to call us on 01328 738321